The Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Agricultural Sciences (BASAG) at YVC is designed for prospective students who have earned an associate’s degree and seek a pathway to a bachelor’s degree. The pathway combines lower-division technical and transfer courses with upper-division credits in agricultural sciences resulting in an application-oriented four-year degree.
Classes are offered during the evening and some will meet one to two times per week. Continued instruction and student interaction take place online.
Full-time students, those taking 15 credits per quarter, can finish the program in two years once prerequisites have been met. Students work closely with a program advisor to create an individualized education plan that addresses all program requirements upon admittance into the program. Courses are scheduled to be offered during the fall, winter, spring, and summer quarters.
Upon successful completion of this program the student should be able to:
• Design a business plan and various industry Standard Operating Procedures (sops)
• Practice communication and ethical leadership skills for the diverse Agribusiness workplace, including appropriate communication with internal and external groups, and managing conflict
• Sustainably manage business operations (including record keeping for compliance, labor, and safety) and resources (supplies, water, time, people, and crops) of the agricultural system
• Evaluate the important processes that are a part of running an agriculture business, including recruitment and management of employees, design and process efficiency of equipment for employee and food safety, customer satisfaction of the final product, and the implementation of new technologies
• Collect and critically evaluate data related to production and quality, financial statements, market trends, and research for the Agribusiness sector
• Implement safety measures for personnel and food products, including state, federal, and international food safety and compliance programs
Students from the BAS in Agricultural Sciences program will be prepared for careers in many occupations including:
• First Line Supervisors in Farming Operations
• Pest Management
• Post-harvest Agricultural Managers
• Agricultural Manager
• Agricultural Inspectors
For more information on the employment trends, visit www.onetonline.org.
Admission to the BASAG program is selective. Admission to YVC does not guarantee entrance to the program. Candidates must follow the application process as stated on the BASAG program webpage.
To apply applicants must have the following minimum qualifications completed:
• Hold an applied associate’s degree or at least 90 or more college level credits from a regionally accredited college or university.
• Minimum cumulative college-level GPA of 2.0
• Eligibility to register for MATH& 146 ;
• Completion of the following courses with a C (2.0) or better:
Visit the BASAG webpage for more information about the selective admissions application process and to schedule an appointment with the BASAG Coordinator: https://www.yvcc.edu/academics/basag/
To earn a bachelor of applied science degree students must complete 180 college level credits (100 or above) in specific categories. The categories are: BASAG Core, Agricultural Prerequisites, General Education and Foundation. Other degree specifications include:
• Minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
• Upper division courses must be completed individually with a “C” or better, including AGSCI 101 or BIOL 107, AGECN 201 or ECON&201, AGECN 210 or ACCT& 201, AGSCI 201, and AGSCI 213;
• General Education course categories require a minimum 2.0 GPA in each section
• Must meet BAS Residency Requirements
• Non-traditional credit may be applied, see the BAS Non-Traditional Credit Allowance procedure for more information