Yakima Valley College Catalog 2017-2018 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
IT Networking - System Administration, BAS
The Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Technology Networking - System Administration (BASIT) degree is designed for prospective students who have earned an Associate degree and need a pathway to a bachelor’s degree. This pathway combines lower-division technical and transfer courses with upper-division credits in Information Technology, resulting in an application-oriented, four-year degree. Full-time students are generally able to complete the degree in as few as two years. Upon admission, students may start the program the following quarter.
This degree will broaden and deepen students’ foundational knowledge, adding general education, theory, advanced technical and professional skills, and integrative collaborating learning.
Upon successful completion of this program the student should be able to:
- Understand the place of information technology in an organization environment including alignment with organizational goals and objectives.
- Analyze and develop recommendations for information systems administration in accordance with best practices and standards, legal and regulatory requirements, and ethical and social considerations including respect for privacy and intellectual property.
- Develop successful and respectful relationship with clients, co-workers, managers, and stakeholders, applying a wide range of adaptive and effective communication skills to convey complex technical concepts.
- Develop solutions for networking and security system administration balancing business concerns, technical issues, and security.
- Maintain network and data systems in accordance with desired organizational goals and objectives, while performing, analyzing, testing, and recommending solution based on best practices.
- Analyze, assess, identify, and define effective problem-solving techniques of network and data systems and play a leading role in the implementation of those results.
- IT Networking-System Administration (BAS)
Students from the BASIT program will be prepared for careers in a variety of occupations including:
- Network Administrator
- Information System Manager
- Network Support Specialist
- Database Administrator
- Computer System Analyst
- System Engineer
For more information on current employment trends, visit www.esd.wa.gov/labormarketinfo.
Applicants must have one of the following:
- Hold an Associate degree from a regionally-accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- If you have completed 90 or more college-level credits (college-level courses are those with a designation of 100 or higher), please contact the Program Coordinator.
For admission and degree information contact 509.834.4513 or email us at BASIT@yvcc.edu. Our office is located in the Deccio Higher Education Center on the YVC Yakima Campus, room 267. Visit the web at www.yvcc.edu/BASIT.