The Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Business Management (BASM) at YVC is designed for prospective students who have earned an associate’s degree and seek a pathway to a bachelor’s degree. The pathway combines lower-division technical and transfer courses with upper-division credits in business management resulting in an application-oriented four-year degree.
Classes are offered during the evening, with each class occurring one time per week for two hours. Continued instruction and student interaction takes place online.
Full-time students, those taking 15 credits per quarter, can finish the program in two years once prerequisites have been met. Students work closely with a program advisor to create an individualized education plan that addresses all program requirements upon admittance into the program. Courses are scheduled to be offered during the fall, winter, and spring quarters. This program is also open for part-time enrollment.
Upon successful completion of the BASM program the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communications in all major areas of business
- Understand the theory and practice of management
- Analyze and interpret data for making decisions
- Characterize effective leadership and its role in the business environment
- Recognize the role of entrepreneurship in the development of innovation
- Integrate new and developing information technologies
- Discuss the legal environment and ethical considerations faced by managers
- Examine the business environment and formulate strategies, policies, and procedures
Students from the BAS in Business Management program will be prepared for careers in many occupations including:
- Sales Managers
- Industrial Production Managers
- Medical/Health Service Managers
- Natural Science Managers
- Social and Community Services Managers
- Human Resources Managers
- Management Analysts
For more information on the employment trends, visit www.esd.wa.gov/labormarketinfo.
Admission to the BASM program is selective. Admission to YVC does not guarantee entrance to the program. Candidates must follow the application process as stated on the BASM program webpage.
To apply applicants must have the following:
- Hold an applied associate’s degree or at least 90 or more college level credits from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Minimum cumulative college-level GPA of 2.0
- Completion of a Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning course with a “C” or better
- Completion of English 101 with a “C” or better
- Microsoft proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficiency can be met by completing one of the following scenarios:
- Completing IT 100 with a “C” or better, or
- Completing BT 160 and IT 111 and IT 120 with a “C” or better, or
- Proficiency through exam (see BASM Coordinator)
Visit the BASM webpage for more information about the selective admissions application process and to schedule an appointment with the BASM Coordinator: http://www.yvcc.edu/academics/basm/
To earn a bachelor of applied science degree students must complete 180 college level credits (100 or above) in specific categories. The categories are: BASM Core, General Education and Foundation. Other degree specifications include: