Jun 23, 2024  
Yakima Valley College Catalog 2017-2018 
Yakima Valley College Catalog 2017-2018 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

GED Exam

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: ABE/ESL/HS Completion/GED

Basic Skills

YVC’s Basic Skills programs help students prepare to succeed in college level courses and job training by helping students improve their English language, digital literacy, reading, writing, math, study, time management, and teamwork skills.

All persons 16 and over are eligible to enroll in Basic Skills classes, which are offered in the day and evening at the Ellensburg Learning Center, Grandview Campus, La Casa Hogar in Yakima, Sunnyside Learning Center, Toppenish Learning Center, and the Yakima Campus.

Students can enroll in classes for the first six weeks of the quarter, but classes usually fill early in the quarter.

Follow these steps to get started:

  1. Contact the location you wish to attend to get the current entrance assessment schedule. You do not need an appointment, availability is on a first-come, first-serve basis. A listing of locations and their contact information is at http://www.yvcc.edu/BasicSkills
  2. Bring a check or money order in the amount of $25.00 to the entrance assessment to pay for the quarter tuition fee. If you would like to earn a High School Diploma, you will need to bring an official high school transcript and an unofficial transcript to the entrance assessment. 
  3. Meet with an advisor to select your classes.

Basic Skills Program Outcomes

  • Students will develop basic academic skills in reading, writing and math.
  • Students will develop basic academic success and employment skills in the areas of teamwork, managing time, knowing how to learn new things, adhering to rules and deadlines and using computer technology.

English as a Second Language/ English Language Acquisition (ESL/ELA)

English as a Second Language/English Language Acquisition (ESL/ELA) classes are for non- or limited English-speaking adults who want to learn English. Classes combine listening, speaking, reading, and writing, with an emphasis on listening and speaking skills. ESL/ELA classes prepare students to continue with their education in English or secure employment. As students develop English language skills they transition into Adult Basic Education classes.

Adult Basic Education (ABE)

Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes prepare students to either earn a high school diploma or take the GED exam. Students can take ABE classes in math, reading, writing, science, history, computers, art, PE and health. Students can also earn high school credit in ABE classes. As students complete their studies in ABE they are ready to either enroll in college level courses or find employment.

High School Diploma & High School Equivalency Exam

YVC offers three different options for individuals seeking to earn a High School Diploma or High School Equivalency.

Adult High School Diploma-High School 21+ (HS21+) Program
Students who are 21 years of age or older can earn high school credit from Adult Basic Education or college-level courses in order to earn an adult high school diploma. All courses lead directly into YVC credit-bearing college courses.

As students show competency in specific subject areas, YVC will grant high school credit. YVC recognizes high school credits students have previously earned. Students may also be able to earn high school credit based on prior knowledge through training and/or work experience. Then students can earn the rest of the credits they need by taking classes at YVC. Students are not required to pass the high school state assessment or complete a senior project. To earn a high school diploma, students must earn a total of 20 high school credits and demonstrate proficiency in English and math. Upon completion of their high school diploma, students can enroll directly into credit-bearing college level courses.

Requesting a High School Diploma when completing an Associate Degree

SHB 1758 was approved by the legislature and took effect July 2009 in order to expand options for students to earn high school diplomas. A community or technical college may issue a high school diploma or certificate as provided under this section:

  • An individual 21 years or older, who earns any type of associate degree from a Washington State community and technical college shall be awarded a state high school diploma from the college upon written request from the student.
  • An individual enrolled through Running Start who satisfactorily completes any type of associate degree from a Washington State community and technical college shall be awarded a state high school diploma from the college upon written request from the student.

For more information, please contact YVC’s Office of Registration & Records at registration@yvcc.edu or reference the phone directory in this catalog.

High School Equivalency Exam

YVC offers the GED (General Education Development) high school equivalency exam at both the Yakima and Grandview campuses. For additional information, visit www.yvcc.edu\testingservices for specific information. Individuals who wish to prepare for the exam can enroll in Adult Basic Education classes at YVC.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: ABE/ESL/HS Completion/GED