The Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Business Management (BASM) at YVC is designed for prospective students who have earned an associate’s degree and seek a pathway to a bachelor’s degree. The pathway combines lower-division technical and transfer courses with upper-division credits in business management resulting in an application-oriented four-year degree.
The BASM degree caters to working adults. Classes meet in the evenings one time per week for two hours. Continued instruction and student interaction takes place online.
Full-time students, those taking 15 credits per quarter, can finish the program in two years once prerequisites have been met. Currently, courses are scheduled to be offered during the fall, winter, and spring quarters. This program is also open for part-time enrollment.
Upon successful completion of this program the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communications in all major areas of business.
- Understand the theory and practice of management.
- Analyze and interpret data for making decisions.
- Characterize effective leadership and its role in the business environment.
- Recognize the role of entrepreneurship in the development of innovation.
- Integrate new and developing information technologies.
- Discuss the legal environment and ethical considerations faced by managers.
- Examine the business environment and formulate strategies, policies, and procedures.
The BASM degree is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a minimum, cumulative GPA of 2.0
The BASM curriculum will give students a strong practical foundation in the following areas of management:
- Communication skills
- Finance and analysis
- Economic perspectives
- Information technology
- Leadership and management
- Legal issues and ethics
- Operation management
- Managing human resources
- Strategic management
Students will be cognizant of the above areas of management and the role and impact management decision making have in whether an organization meets its goals and continues to compete in the market place.
Students from the BAS in Business Management program will be prepared for careers in a variety of occupations including:
- Sales Managers
- Industrial Production Managers
- Medical/Health Service Managers
- Natural Science Managers
- Social and Community Services Managers
- Human Resources Managers
- Management Analysts
For more information on the current employment trends, visit www.WorkforceExplorer.com
Applicants will need to complete a proficiency test in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Students who received a “C” or better in IT 100 can have their proficiency test waived.
Applicants must have one of the following:
- Hold an associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- If you have completed 90 or more college level credits (college level courses are those with a designation of 100 and higher) please contact the Program Coordinator at 509.574.4772 or stop by room 261 in the Deccio Higher Education Center (Bldg. 18)
Priority consideration will be given to students who have completed the following general education requirements:
- ENGL& 101 - English Composition (5 Credits)
- Quantitative Courses - MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 146 ; PHIL& 120 (5 Credits)
- Humanities Course - (5 Credits)
- Natural Science Courses - one must be a lab science course - i.e. Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics (10 Credits)
- Additional general education courses that fall into Communications, Quantitative, Humanities, Social Science or Natural Science (15 Credits)
Minimum grade point average of “C” (2.0) must be achieved in the above areas
ProgramsBachelor of Applied Science