May 28, 2024  
Yakima Valley College Catalog 2022-2023 
Yakima Valley College Catalog 2022-2023 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Degree Descriptions

Direct Transfer Degrees

YVC offers direct transfer agreement (DTA) degrees: associate in arts - DTA, associate in business - DTA, and associate in science - Transfer. These degrees ensure satisfaction of lower division general education (or core) requirements and lower division business requirements at the state four-year institutions. Students who earn these degrees will normally be prepared to transfer to Washington colleges and universities with junior standing, having met most lower-division general education requirements subject to the requirements in the Inter-College Relations Committee (ICRC) Handbook. The handbook is available at or in the YVC Counseling and Advising Center. The college endorses the Policy on Inter-College Transfer among Washington public colleges and universities, which was approved by the Higher Education Coordinating Board in February, 1986.

Associate in Arts - DTA

The Associate in Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) degree is designed for students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university. YVC offers many disciplines so students can select their course load based on their area of interest within this degree.

Associate in Business - DTA/MRP

The Associate in Business - DTA/MRP (direct transfer agreement/major ready pathway) degree is designed for students who plan to pursue one of the business disciplines at a four-year college or university. Students can start on the business courses while completing their general education requirements. Upon completion of the DTA, students will enter most college or university schools as a junior.

Associate in Science - Transfer Track 1 and Track 2

Note: Special advising is required for this degree. Please see your faculty advisor for specific course information.

This degree is for students interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, or chemistry (Track 1) or engineering, computer science (information technology), or physics (Track 2) at a four-year institution.

Students completing the Associate in Science - Transfer Track 1 or Track 2 will receive the same priority consideration for admission to the four-year institution as those students completing the direct transfer agreement and will be given junior status by the receiving institution. Students with this degree do not, however, meet the general education requirements of the receiving institution. Therefore, students will be required to complete the general education requirements or general university requirements during the junior and senior year.

Associate in Nursing - DTA/MRP

Note:  Special advising is required for this degree.  Please see your faculty advisor for specific course information.  

This degree allows students to enroll at the University for one additional year to complete a bachelor’s degree in Nursing.

Four-Year Institutions

These four-year institutions honor the ICRC direct transfer agreement:

  • Bastyr College
  • Central Washington University
  • Cornish College of the Arts
  • Eastern Washington University
  • Gonzaga University
  • Heritage University
  • Northwest University
  • Pacific Lutheran University
  • Saint Martin’s University
  • Seattle Pacific University
  • Seattle University
  • The Evergreen State College
  • University of Washington
  • Washington State University
  • Western Washington University
  • Whitworth University

Students wishing to enter institutions not listed above should confer with a counselor or advisor early so appropriate course equivalencies at YVC can be accurately selected. Most schools listed have specific requirements which can be met at YVC but are not required in our AA degrees. Check with an advisor early in your academic career to find out about additional requirements of your chosen transfer institution.

Additional information on transfer can be found in the Academic Rules  section of the catalog.

Associate of Applied Science Degrees

The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees provide competencies related to the workplace; these degrees are not designed as a transfer degree to a four-year institution. Students earning an AAS may go on to earn Bachelors of Applied Science (BAS) degrees offered at community colleges in the state. Students wishing to transfer AAS credits will not be automatically accepted as a junior at four-year colleges and universities. However, since some individual courses taken under this plan are transferable, students wishing to transfer are likely to receive some advanced-standing credit after their transcript is individually evaluated by the receiving institution. An AAS may be awarded upon completion of a prescribed program.

To be awarded an associate in applied science degree, students must complete courses covering three core competency distribution areas: computation, communication, and human relations. Specific courses are required that will fulfill these competencies. The curriculum in professional/technical areas is competency-based and has been developed to meet industry-wide skills standards.

For specific degree requirements, please refer to the appropriate program of study.

Core Competency Codes

♦ Computation
• Communication
■ Human Relation

Associate of Applied Science - Transfer Degree (AAS-T)

The Associate in Applied Science - Transfer degrees (AAS-T) build upon the technical courses required for job preparation but also includes a college-level General-Education component, common in structure for all such degrees. Several four-year colleges and universities have specific bachelor’s degree programs that accept AAS-T degrees based upon specific articulation agreements. YVC has five AAS-T degrees; Agribusiness, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education, and Vineyard Technology. See the program description in this catalog for specific program requirements.

Cooperative Education Program

Cooperative education is a form of education which incorporates real work experience into the curriculum. Students contact the head of the department for which they wish to receive co-op credit. The students can apply classroom theory to their related major work experience, thus enhancing career choices, building human relations skills, and increasing earning potential while earning credits.

Bachelor of Applied Science Degrees

Community and technical colleges play an important role in producing baccalaureate degree graduates in Washington State. Community and Technical College applied baccalaureate programs help:

  • Meet state goals for increasing the overall number of baccalaureate degrees awarded.
  • Expand the workforce mission of community and technical colleges to serve the needs of local and state employers.
  • Increase educational pathways for professional and technical associate graduates who have been limited in their ability to apply credits toward a bachelor degree. These degrees are designed to help local students grow professionally, financially, and pursue their educational goals here in Yakima.
  • While admission into the BAS programs is competitive, all interested and qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. For admission and selection information, go to
  • For information regarding BAS residency requirements, go to BAS Residency Requirements .
  • For information on the use of non-traditional credits in BAS programs, go to BAS Non-Traditional Credit Allowance .

Certificates of Achievement

The certificate programs offered at YVC include a wide range of subjects and require varying lengths of time for completion. The specific requirements for each certificate are listed in the program descriptions section of this catalog. Certificates of Achievement will be awarded upon successful completion of the prescribed certificate programs with a 2.0 or higher grade point average in the courses required for that certificate. Certificate applications may be obtained from the Registration and Records Office or online at

In addition to specific certificate programs, YVC may also award the college certificate to any student who completes 90 credits at the college. Persons interested in receiving this Certificate of Achievement, which recognizes two years of completed work at the institution, may request the certification application from the Registration and Records Office or online at  Award of the certificate is by approval of the Registrar.